Insert APA Heading
How to add APA formatted headings to your paper.
What are APA headings?
Headings are used to organize your paper and make it easy for your readers to anticipate keys points and track the development of your argument.
All topics of equal importance should have the same heading level throughout your paper.
The APA manual defines 5 levels of headings. Each one is formatted differently in order to make the heading level clear.
There are two methods to add a heading to an APA paper using PERRLA.
The first method is:
- Click on the PERRLA menu:
- Then select Change Format from the list. The box that appears has information regarding changing formats, including information about headings.
- Click OK.
- Select the heading you wish to use, then click the OK button.
Type the text for the heading. The text will be correctly formatted.
Pressing the enter key will take you to a new line so you can continue to type your paper.
The second method is used if you already have the text of the heading typed.
- Select the heading text, click on the PERRLA menu, then select Change Format from the list.
- The box that appears has information regarding changing formats, including information about headings.
- Click OK.
- Select the heading level you wish to use.
- Click OK
You will need to use this method with heading levels 3 thru 5.
This video show how to add APA headings with PERRLA:
Let us know your thoughts about this article.